Here's the release candidate for the first stable release of BFS for linux 3.3. BFS hadn't received much attention lately so I felt a little guilty and worked on a few things that had been nagging me:
It is not clear whether the bug which I posted about here is present any more or not, given that it is extremely rare and hard to reproduce it is impossible to know for sure. A number of minor issues were addressed in the code which hopefully have fixed it (and hardly anyone was affected anyway).
The changes since BFS version 0.416 include a fairly large architectural change just to bring the codebase in sync with 3.3, but none of the changes should be noticeable in any way. One change that may be user-visible is that the high resolution IRQ accounting now appears to be on by default for x86 architectures. There is an issue that system time accounting is wrong without this feature enabled in BFS so this should correct that problem.
416-417: A number of ints were changed to bool which though unlikely to have any performance impact, do make the code cleaner and the compiled code does often come out different. rq_running_iso was converted from a function to macro to avoid it being a separate function call when compiled in with the attendant overhead. requeue_task within the scheduler tick was moved to being done under lock which may prevent rare races. test_ret_isorefractory() was optimised. set_rq_task() was not being called on tasks that were being requeued within schedule() which could possibly have led to issues if the task ran out of timeslice during that requeue and should have had its deadline offset. The need_resched() check that occurs at the end of schedule() was changed to unlikely() since it really is that. Moved the scheduler version print function to bfs.c to avoid recompiling the entire kernel if the version number is changed.
417-418: Fixed a problem with the accounting resync for linux 3.3.
418-419: There was a small possibility that an unnecessary resched would occur in try_preempt if a task had changed affinity and called try_preempt with its ->cpu still set to the old cpu it could no longer run on, so try_preempt was reworked slightly. Reintroduced the deadline offset based on CPU cache locality on sticky tasks in a way that was cheaper than we currently offset the deadline.
419-420: Finally rewrote the earliest_deadline_task code. This has long been one of the hottest code paths in the scheduler and small changes here that made it look nice would often slow it down. I spent quite a few hours reworking it to include less GOTOs while disassembling the code to make sure it was actually getting smaller with every change. Then I wrote a scheduler specific version of find_next_bit which could be inlined into this code and avoid another function call in the hot path. The overall behaviour is unchanged from previous BFS versions, but initial benchmarking confirms slight improvements in throughput.
Now I'll leave it open for wider testing confirming it's all good and then I have to think about what I should do with the full -ck patchset. As I've said on numerous posts before, I'm no longer sure about the validity of some of the patches in the set with all the changes to the virtual memory subsystem in the mainline kernel.