I had set out to do some major surgery to lrzip to make it work better with STDIN/STDOUT and not use physical temporary files at all. However, as I mentioned in my last blog post, my approach of using shared memory as files was a failure as it only really worked on linux. So after much angst, I decided to simply put together all the minor bugfixes that I had accumulated and bring out a new version. So here is a mainly small bugfix release lrzip version 0.571:
lrzip on freshmeat
On a related note I chanced upon this article recently which compared compression tools:
tl:dr lrzip wins
Suffice to say that lrzip did pretty well, despite them using a much older version that predates any of the multi-threading enhancements!